Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Parenting

Well, here I am blogging again. So called been grounded few minutes ago for some apparent reason of getting low marks for the exam. Somehow, I’m against this idea of getting grounded and so on. It is being partially unfair to teenagers for some specific reasons. (This is 100% my POV). Want to add in your POV? Just drop your POV in the comment area.

First, have you ever heard of someone saying that they want to fail in their exams or doing badly in their studies? As far as I’m aware, I never heard about people like that. So what is the point of constant nagging and punishment for not doing well in exams? Because the results are below the parents expectations? Give me a break! Why don’t they just sit for the exams? My POV is, why there is no encouragement given to teenagers to perform well?

- My case: - Trial results were bad. Well, I have to admit that I did not give my best during trials. Is it right for my parents to blame my other activities for the bad results? Is the internet or TV is the main cause of it? My father doesn’t care what my problem of getting bad result is. What he cares the most is all beautiful A’s on the result slip. That is so inconsiderate! I’m not a robot to produce the best of out the best. Somehow I have to admit that this is the mentality of most Asian parents.

What is the mentality of our parents?

My childhood experience was unpleasant. I strive to give the best for my children.

· My question, do you strive to give what you think is the best for your children or do you strive to give what is best for your children?
Many think that what they do is always the best. “I never had proper tuition so I shall pack my child with all the tuition available in my area.” Or “I never had a chance to attend music lessons or swimming lessons, so I will send my children for both the lessons”. To me, what they think is the best for their children is a way for them to satisfy their lust of their childhood dreams. You may ask is it wrong for parents to behave in this manner? But to me, it is always best to ask your children what they prefer the most. Is it too difficult?


During my time, there was no entertainment. No plasma TV, PS3, or even internet. I even provide you this advantage but you misuse it.

· My POV, time has changed. We have cutting edge technologies. So are you telling us that we should stay at home and read books 24/7 and ignore all the entertainment? Let’s talk about misusing it. Well, it’s a very subjective topic. To make things easier, let’s just talk about me. I use the internet more than other electronic gadgets found in my house. My mobile phone usage is very small. I only use about 30 ringgit per month and sometimes it can be lesser than that (at times I have balanced about 15 ringgit or so). So it is called misusing the advantage that has been provided to me? Sad to say, my father thinks so. Well, the entire paternal family thinks so. That I am spending my life in it. In my opinion, just because they do not use the internet often or does not use the internet at all, they feel that I am wasting time, money and electricity. (Your POV is much appreciated in this section)


That boy/ girl can score so well. Why not you? Since you both sat for the same exams.

· My POV, is the boy/girl my duplicated twin? Common sense-lah. Everyone is different, if everyone is identical and have the same thought and same mentality, world would be boring and life would be much easier. Everyone uses the same brand; watch the same TV show, goes for the same ambition. Is it so hard to understand that all of us are different?

· My second POV, if he can do it, why not me? It’s most probably because his parents have flexible mentality of understanding their child. So parents, the problem lies within you. Every baby is born with the same maximum level of IQ and EQ. It really matters how the parents does to make their children a better person. How are you spending time with your children? Buying food and sending them to tuition not the so called correct way of spending time with your children and understanding them. Is it so difficult to spend about an hour with your child in his/her room reading book or just do some simple family bonding?

· My third POV, since you are comparing me with this/girl, should I compare you with other better parents? Should I compare you with other parents that give their child freedom which allows them to hang out, smoke, drink and go clubbing? Or should I compare you with parents that spend time with their kids listening to the child’s story and experience? Sad to say, many parents thinks that their responsibility is totally over when they buy food and give money for education. “My work is to earn money and spend for my son’s education. Other than that I have no idea what my son is doing”. (This is a reply from a doctor when my aunty asked the doctor what is his son’s UPSR result and the doctor does not know what his son got for UPSR.)
Okay, maybe I went out of topic a little bit, but my point is: I am totally unhappy with what my dad is trying to convey on me. Being a genius and scoring strings of As is nothing compared how you are going to spend your life in the next few decades.


Your bank won’t ask for your report card, but will ask for your financial statement”,
Smart kid, Rich kid

3 comments:

Janlan / Ezca_Jan said...

lol.penguin is pissed off.
anymore weird ideas for being "rich dad poor dad" to " smart kid rich kid"?
lol
cool man..ur fault also for not hiding it safely.

Jazz said...

sigh... chill la dude.. parents will be parents.. sigh

Vimal said...

Just ni found time to read ur post.. interesting and definitely awesome... Parents always seem to forget that 20 years is a long time for things to change from tree climbing to internet... The mentality has got to go.. And the fact that they keep comparing us with other children is another annoying bit... AARRGGHHH...
Parents...
You can't live with them..
You can't live without them..